Monday, September 6, 2010

Pumpkins and Gourds

Yesterday I picked the last of my gourds.  September is here and I am ready.  I picked these gourds yesterday.



After picking them, they need to be washed to prevent rot.  I used a 10:1 water to bleach solution to clean them.  I fill up my mop bucket and throw them in with the solution.  Wash, rinse and let dry.  Place them outside to cure for about a week.

My total gourd and pumpkin harvest is complete.  I lost 2 pumpkins to squash borer worms.  But I think it is impressive anyway.  I bought the seeds at a big box store for $2 each.  One packet of Small Sugar Pumpkin seeds and one packet of Small Fancy Gourd Mix yielded me this:




I cannot wait for the cool days of fall and to make my annual front yard pumpkin display using these.

No comments:

Post a Comment