Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Veal Stock in the Pressure Cooker

A recent addition to my kitchen is a pressure cooker.  I bought an electric version so it feels safer than that one I remember my grandma using and it is easy to use.  I decided to make a recipe using it that was simple and stock is a great one to try in it.  Veal was on sale at my local Italian market so veal was the choice for today.  If you like to make stews or gravies using veal, this is the base for it.  You can make this recipe on the stove top too.  At the time when you add the items to the pressure cooker, simply add it all to a large pot on the stove and add 8-10 of water to the pot to account for evaporation and cook it for 3 hours on a low simmer.

Ingredients:

2.5 veal bones, I used neck bones
3 large carrots cut into 3 pieces
2 large onions, cut in quarters, skin can stay on
4 celery stalks, cut into 3 pieces
1 head of garlic cut horizontally in half
2 TBS olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup red wine
6-8 cups water
2 Bay leaves
5 thyme sprigs

Here's how:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Place the veal bones, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, oil, salt and pepper in a roasting pan and toss to coat.




Place the pan in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.

Remove the pan and toss again.

Return the pan and roast for another 30 minutes.

Remove the pan from the oven.

Place all of the roasted meat and vegetables into the pressure cooker.

Pour the red wine into the roasting pan and use a wooden spoon to scrape the pan of all the brown bits on the bottom of the roasting pan.  This is where the flavor is.  

Pour the wine from the pan into the pressure cooker.  

Add water to fill to the max line, between six and eight cups and the Bay leaves and thyme stems to the cooker.


Bring the cooker to pressure according to manufacturers instructions and cook at pressure for 30 minutes.  

Turn the cooker off after the thirty minutes and let cool naturally, do not release the steam yourself.

Remove the lid. 

Strain the stock of all the solids and discard the solids.  I use a strainer over a large bowl.  


Pour the stock Into smaller containers.  


Either let it sit on the counter for a while and remove the fat with a spoon or let it sit overnight in the refrigerator to cool.  After it is cooled, remove the fat solid at the top of the container.


Refrigerate for three days or freeze for up to one year.  

Enjoy.

9 comments:

  1. This post was very helpful. I bought a pressure cooker for the sole purpose of making stock. I based my first experience on your suggestions because your basic veal stock recipe (philosophy) was very similar to mine. Turned out great, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Can I Attach A Surface Cleaner To My 2700 PSI Unit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven't had any luck up until this point, You just got a new biggest fan!.. pressure washer store near you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. stanley pressure washer parts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, cool post. I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article... but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. water worker pressure tank reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. air fryer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work. best keurig coffee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was loving my instant pot, bragging to all about it. Making my dogs food was so easy! I put in the food and the water, pressed pressure cook and like magic it was just done when it beeped. Getting used to the pressurization wasn't hard at all. It wasn't really difficult to use.instant pot 8 quart

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you are looking for more information about flat rate locksmith Las Vegas check that right away. Vacuum Reflow Oven

    ReplyDelete