Saturday, September 18, 2010

Green Pepper Pickin'

I began green pepper seeds indoors in March.  I bought Cal Wonder Bell Sweet Pepper Seeds from Seeds of Change and planted them in an organic seed starter soil in peat pots.  I watered them, gave them sun and kept them warm.  The week of May 24 I put out the seedlings into the garden which I had tilled and added compost and manure to.  The soil was ready and warm enough to plant in.  And now, all these months later, as the season comes to a close, the green peppers were ready to pick.  The plants are still small but the peppers are coming in nicely.  I picked 2 green peppers.  Finally!!!  They are on the smaller side but very nice.  There are several more peppers growing out there and I hope they are ready in a few days.

The cubanelle (frying) peppers are coming back in again too.  They had grown very well back in July and August and then stopped.  I left the plants in and waited.  Well, that was a good idea because I picked 2 more today with a couple more still growing.

The Green Zebras are getting big on the plants and there are about a dozen almost ready to pick.  I picked 2 today but anticipate that on Monday they will be ready to pick too.  You can tell when they are ready when it turns yellow and the stripes remain green.  Also, they will feel like a ripe tomato if you place your hand around it and give it a light squeeze.  They are delicious when sliced thin and put on a homemade pizza.  They are also good to eat out of your hand.

The Cherry tomatoes are still going strong.

Here is the picture from today:

2 Cubanelles, 2 Green Zebra, 2 Bell Peppers, 25 Cherry Tomatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment