Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Making Pesto

 I harvested my basil today.  It was getting to the point where it was flowering and it needed to be cut down.  If we still have warm weather it may survive to give me more, but that is wishful thinking.  I got a total of 1 1/2 cups of basil.  I also had some parsley that was ready as well.  Now the question is what to do with it.  I have made enough tomato and fresh mozzarella salads so that is out.  I think pesto is the way to go.  It can be frozen and used another day.  Here's how:

Ingredients:

1 cup tightly packed fresh basil
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (I use parmigiano reggiano)
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1/4 cup pignoli nuts (aka - pine nuts)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use kosher)
2 large cloves garlic or 3 small cloves

Take all of the ingredients and place them into the food processor using the blade attachment.  Process until done.  All ingredients should be the same, small size.  It will be smooth but not loose. 

All ingredients ready to go into processor.  (Photo is missing the garlic)





Items in food processor, ready to go for a spin




All processed and ready to store



 Now that it is all processed, it is time to store it.  This can be stored for two weeks in the refrigerator or frozen for 6 months.  If it is going into the fridge, place it in a container with a lid.  Pour a bit of olive oil over the top so that it does not turn brown. 

If you are storing it in the freezer there are several options.  One option is to place it in ice cube trays, freeze, and once frozen remove and place it into a zip to bag until ready to use.  This way it will be all portioned out and you can just grab the number of cubes you need.  A second option is to place it all into one container with a lid with oil covering the surface to prevent browning.  A third option is what I did.  I placed small amounts into snack size zip top bags and then placed those bags into a freezer safe larger sized zip top bag.  Why?  I have an ice machine in my freezer and therefore, I have no ice cube trays!  This way it is all portioned out for me when I need it.


Pesto in snack size zip top bags

Pesto can be used on pasta, chicken, on a tomato and mozzarella salad or any other way you like.  I make a bowtie pasta sald with chicken and broccoli with it.  I hope you like this recipe.

Pesto Making Tips:

If you buy more pignoli nuts than you need for the recipe, store the extras in the freezer.  It prevents them from going rancid on you.  Considering the price is high for nuts, this is a great money saver.

Buy a block of parmigiano reggiano cheese and not the pre-grated kind and not the kind you buy in a can from the shelf.  You can find it in your cheese section of the regular grocery store.  This recipe calls for about .20 - .25 lbs to get 1/2 cup.  This is cheaper per pound and there are no preservatives in it - just cheese.  The flavor and quality are worth it.  If you have extra it stores well in the refrigerator.

When you buy the block of cheese, save the rind in a zip top bag in the refrigerator.  Use the rinds to add to soup.  It adds a great dimension to escarole soup; the broth will have a body that cannot be achieved any other way.  I have a bag full of rinds waiting for the cool weather and soup making season.

My parsley and basil are as local and organic as you can get - my own backyard.  Get yours at a farmstand or farmers market.  There are several great ones in my area:  Garden of Eve comes to the Mt. Sinai Heritage "Wedge" Park on Fridays from 3-6 pm.  This is an organic farm right in Aquebogue that comes so close I cannot resist checking them out.  Garden of Eve also has a store on their farm located on Sound Avenue in Aquebogue.  Garden of Eve also does farmers markets in NYC.  Three great ways to catch them.    Also, J. Kings food distributors has a farmers market right in their parking lot on Saturdays.  Take Nichols Rd, (CR 97) to Furrows Rd.  Turn to head East and it is located on the South side of the road.  You can also buy herbs in any grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment