Monday, September 20, 2010

The Milk Pail Country Store

After a long morning on the North Fork I wanted to head to the South Fork to get some fresh apples.  I know exactly where to go - The Milk Pail. 

                                                     

                     

                         

                           


This place is full of history and I wanted to see it for myself.  The Halsey family has been farming in the Mecox Bay area of Long Island since 1640.  The Milk Pail Country Store is located on the north side of Montauk Highway in Water Mill, just east of town.  They grow the fruit in their own orchards and sell in the stand where you can see the fruit trees all around.  They also sell some pumpkins, pies, donuts, cider and homemade ice cream.  The ladies were so nice and very helpful.  I told them I was looking for apples to make applesauce and they told me that they sell their "seconds"  for half price!  At $1.69 that was a great price and you do not get much fresher than straight from the orchard.  And the "seconds"  looked like apples you might find in lesser grocery stores. You can buy apples a bit less at the grocery store but it was worth the few extra cents to be able to speak directly to the growers and see where the fruit comes from.  The money all went to the farmer and not to trucking companies and other middle men.  Overall, this was a great stop and a locavore's dream. 

Here is what $20 bought me, just under 14 lbs:

No comments:

Post a Comment