Sunday, January 30, 2011

Seed Order 2011

With 3 feet of snow accumulated on the lawn, my garden hidden by the same white blanket and another storm on its way, I had to do something garden related.  I have spent so much time lately writing about baking and entertaining indoors that I have been missing the outdoor activities of the garden.  I decided to order my seeds today.  I think I have over-ordered but I don't care, I can store the extras in the fridge.  I am going to try several new seeds this year and I love the experimentation of it all.  I realized that I do not need 16 cherry tomato plants, instead I am going to try two of each of eight tomato varieties.  Here is what I am growing this year.  I am using leftover seeds from last year and ordered new.  All of my edible plant seeds are from Seeds of Change.  Only my pumpkin and gourds are ordered from Johnny's Seeds.

Seeds from last year:

Green Zebra Tomato
Roma Paste Tomato
Peron Sprayless Tomato
Arkansas Traveler Tomato
Cal Wonder Sweet Pepper
Sunrise Orange Sweet Pepper

Ordered from Seeds of Change Today:

    CUCUMBER, EARLY RUSSIAN                            
    CUCUMBER, LEMON                                             
    CELERY, TANGO                                               
    BEAN, POLE, BLACK SEEDED BLUE LAKE                          
    BEET, TOUCHSTONE GOLD                                       
    CARROT, NAPOLI F-1                                        
    CARROT, RED CORE CHANTENAY                
    EGGPLANT, IMPERIAL BLACK BEAUTY       
    LEEK, PRIZETAKER                                           
    LEEK, SCOTLAND                                              
    PEA, SNAP, SUGAR DADDY                             
    RADISH, PRETTY IN PINK                                      
    RUTABAGA, JOAN                                              
    SHALLOT, AMBITION F-1                                       
    SQUASH, SUMMER, WILDCAT F-1                          
    SQUASH, SUMMER, COCOZELLE 
    SQUASH, SUMMER, YELLOW CROOKNECK                      
    SQUASH, WINTER, BUTTERNUT                             
    TOMATO, PAUL ROBESON                                       
    TOMATO, YELLOW PERFECTION                           
    TOMATO, CHERRY, YELLOW PEAR                       
    TOMATO, CHERRY, RED PEAR                               
    BASIL, GENOVESE SWEET                                       
    PARSLEY, ITALIAN FLAT LEAF                                 
                              
The beets, celery, leeks, rutabaga and shallots are new for me this year.  I have grown tomatoes, squashes, tomatoes and herbs in the past.  Each year I like to try something new and see how it goes.  I will update you as to my progress in the seed growing and the plants yields as the season progresses.

I have learned from past years where I grew to many on of type of plant.  I like squash so I am trying several varieties this year, the same is true with the tomatoes.  I usually buy my herbs, but I am going to try to grow basil and parsley from seed this year.  The total for all of the seeds, with shipping was about $100.  I know that no matter what I grow this year, I will recoup that money quickly. 
                                                 
Pumpkin and Gourds from Johnny's Seeds:

Moonshine
Long Island Cheese
Jarrahdale
Marina Di Chioggia
Musque de Provence
Rouge Vif D'Etampes

These are the pumpkins that I use for my front yard display each year.  So if I can get one of each to grow to maturity, I will be so happy, and will have save a lot of money at the farms.  Let's see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment