Saturday, January 1, 2011

Christmas Table Setting 2010

Setting a beautiful table is always nice to do.  I like to make the table look pretty because I think the food tastes better when it is on a lovely table.  Here are some of my photos and tips:


Use a clean, pressed table cloth that hangs just a few inches off the edge of the table on all sides.  I use ones I found at a large kitchen and bathroom store that sends out coupons.  It was inexpensive and cleans up well in the washing machine.

Use the same color on the table.  Do not mix red and maroon, for example.  Do not use too many colors.  Pick a color and stick with it.  If the table is too busy it looks bad and detracts from the food.


Table all set
Napkins can really set off the table and can be inexpensive as well. I go to discount store to find napkins.  Do not spend too much money on them because they are going to stain from the grease on people's hands and mouths.

I use napkin rings to bring some shine to the table.  To make this napkin, iron each napkin flat.  Grab the napkin from the middle and pull it through the holder.  You should have 1/3 through the top and 2/3 through the bottom.  My napkins have Christmas trees in them, so I make sure the tree is centered.

I also use charger plates under the table, it makes the white plates pop off of the white table cloth and protects the table from the hot plates of food.

Each table setting looked like this
The table should be set with the fork to the left, knife to the right and small fork and spoon for dessert and coffee at the top of the plate.  I find that putting them up there, prevents people from using them prematurely.  The glass goes over the knife.  Here I have used a heavy knife because I served prime rib.  If you are serving pasta or chicken a regular knife will do.

I like to decorate the stemware as well.  Here I have tied simple curling ribbon on each glass stem and curled it.  I think it adds the color from the napkins to the glass and makes the glass stand out on the table.

Two pieces of curling ribbon tied and curled add color to the stem

A centerpiece can bring the table together.  I went to a live greens centerpiece making class through my local horticultural society.  All of the greens are fresh and smell wonderfully.  The centerpiece candle is the same maroon which is in my tablecloth, napkins and ribbon on the glasses.  Just be careful when lighting the candle.  If your greens are too dry, it can be dangerous.  Do not leave the candle unattended.

Centerpiece all completed
Add candles to the table.  I use candles in the color of the table scheme.  Make sure they do not have a scent.  No one wants to smell a candle while they are eating. 

I add two sets of salt and pepper shakers to the table.  One set for each end of the table, this way no one is looking for it and it does not need to be passed back and forth. 

If the food I am making has gravy or a sauce, I also place two gravy boats on the table.  This prevents the hot gravy from being passed, and spilled, along the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment