Friday, January 21, 2011

Seed Catalogues are Here!

Spring is coming.  OK, so I know it is only January and we still have several weeks left of cold and snow but my hope has arrived.  It comes in the mailbox and is so simple...seed catalogues.  This is my favorite time of the winter.  The catalogues are a bright spot in the dark, cold days of winter.  I love to see the vibrant reds, greens and oranges of the fruits in the catalogues.   It is time to place the order and get ready for spring. 

But the trick is to look at the catalogue, mark your dream seeds and then put it down. There are so many choices to make it is overwhelming.  Come back to the catalogue later when the excitement has waned and you have calmed down.  Look at your selections this time with a mind towards the size of your garden and window sill or lighting space.  Once you have narrowed it down, place your order soon, so that if anything is on back order, you may get it before it is time to get the seeds into the pots.

Once you order your seeds, decide how many of each you are going to sow of each plant and purchase the appropriate number of peat pots and soil to accommodate them.  You may want to buy grow lights and heat pads.

I like to buy heirloom seeds and organic seeds only.  The organic I like because I feel like my entire garden is organic - the soil, the compost, the fertilizer, the seeds, the plants and the fruits.  I also like to buy Heirloom varieties because they are true to nature and have not been altered genetically by man.  Heirlooms also offer different varieties that you do not usually see in your local nurseries.  The down side to these seeds can be that they are less disease resistant and do not yield as much fruit as hybridized seeds, but to me, the pros far outweigh these cons.

I am a fan of Seeds of Change which offer exactly what I am looking for.  There are plenty other companies out there but this is my favorite.  If you are an expert seed starter or just want to try it, make this year your year.  You will be surprised how fun it can be to watch that seed grown into something on your dinner plate.  It is rewarding and reminds you of where your food comes from.  What is more local than food grown from seeds started in your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment