Saturday, October 9, 2010

Front Yard Fall Display

It will say it again, I love the fall.  One of my favorite things to do in the fall is to pumpkin pick.  While I am picking out the usual orange orbs I love to hunt down the unusual and bumpy pumpkins as well. Next, I find a great deal on maroon and gold mums.   I then find a hay bale and I am all set.  I use the pumpkins, hay bale and mums to make a display on my front walk.  I think it makes the front yard look festive and the pumpkins and gourds can be used later in the compost bin or if they are still good, some can be eaten. I also have a scarecrow in the back of it all to give it some height.  It is a simple thing to do and it makes the yard look great.  One of the best part of all is that you can put it up in September and keep it out until Thanksgiving.  The hay can be used to cover tender plants for the winter or added to the compost pile.  And your eyes are not deceiving you - there are 2 white pumpkins in there.   They add great contrast and I will use them to make floral arrangements for my Thanksgiving table.  The gourds and small pumpkins are from my garden. 




Here is a tip:  If you set this up in the lawn it will kill the grass underneath the display in the shape of the hay bale.  I found this out the hard way.  We had to re-seed the area in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment