Saturday, October 2, 2010

Carrots!

I thought that I would not have carrots until the spring.  I figured that they were growing so slowly that I would overwinter them.  This is a method by which one leaves the carrots in the ground and pulls them as needed until spring.  I was walking passed the carrots today and the tops were so high, green and strong so, I took a closer look.  They were bulging from the soil and looked big so I made the decision to pull them out.  I was so surprised how big they were.  I have some perfect looking ones and some mangled ones.  I learned an important lesson:  Spacing is key when sowing carrot seeds.  The carrots will still be good, they just look funky.  I took some photos to share with you all.

The entire carrot harvest

Perfect carrots, they just need a scrub and the tops removed

Funky, planted too closely, carrots

These should have been thinned out as well
Overall, the $2 seeds were worth it.  The carrots look good and taste so fresh.  I look forward to cooking them up.  Carrot cake cupcakes anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment