Monday, March 19, 2012

What to Read

I am hooked on reading about regular people changing their lived by starting farms, whether they are small backyard areas to feed the family or hundred acre parcels that feed a community.  The change in mind state is the theme that runs through all of the books I have read and recommend here.  The awareness of the state of our food system and how we, individually and collectively, can make a difference.  It sounds a bit naive and cliche to think that one person can make a difference, but I really believe it can happen. One person who makes the decision to improve the soil, save a seed, farm organically and ultimately teach others to do the same.  It is this theme that changing the mind can change the environment around us that really speaks to me.  I try to live this way and this blog is this one person trying to make that difference.

The book I am reading is called "The Quarter-Acre Farm: How I Kept the Patio, Lost the Lawn and Fed My Family For a Year" by Spring Warren.  She makes the decision to use her small yard to feed her family most of the food they need.  Her writing is like talking to your friends and her story is just like your own.  I am enjoying this book and it really has me thinking about what I can do with my Three Quarter-Acre.  I have wanted to expand my edible section of the yard and she is really making me think about doing it.  After all, I can keep the patio and pool, some of the lawn and feed my family.  I have an area that gets full sun but needs the grass removed and soil amended.  Any offers to come help me expand?

No comments:

Post a Comment