Monday, March 26, 2012

Time to Organize the Pantry

I hate to admit it but, my pantry was a mess.  Cans toppled over, plastic bags of flour not sealed properly, powdered sugar spilled, baking pans falling out of the closet and a general disaster.  I knew that it had to be cleaned out, vacuumed, wiped down and better organized.  Here are some photos of the before:

Pantry before (it is coat closet with a shelf placed in it)

Baking shelf before
So I pulled out all items and began to organize it.  I bought a label maker (which I cannot believe I did not own until this weekend) and some glass jars to store my flours, sugars, beans and other dried pantry staples.  Next came the vacuum and some cleaner and I wiped down all the shelves. It feels so much better to know that everything has a home and that I can easily find what I amlooking for.  Here are some photos of the process and the results:

Jars all laid out

Filled and labelled jar

Jars filled and placed on the shelves

Flours and sugars in glass and plastic containers

Pantry after

Baking pans stacked neatly and not falling out

Canned and dried good stacked neatly

Food processor and cooling racks placed
 I used this organization time to throw away expired food.  I dislike throwing away food, it is so wasteful.  The organized pantry will help me keep track of what I have.  I also took this an opportunity to take the food that was still good but we are not eating to the food pantry.  I placed it all in a bag and brought it to the donation bin at the local Town Hall.  There are many churches and charitable organizations will take these items. 

In these tough economic times there are so many people in need.  If you are organizing your pantry, find some items to donate.  If you are not organizing, find some items to donate.  Donating items to charity is the ultimate act of recycling!

No comments:

Post a Comment