Thursday, March 22, 2012

9000th Page View

When I started this blog over a year and half ago, I thought that it would give me a way to share my recipes with my friends and family.  I assumed that the people who came to the site would be people I know.  When my first "stranger" follower signed up, I was so excited that someone I didn't know was interested in what I was doing.  Next came my obsession with checking the countries where people come from who find my blog.  Then came the Facebook page where I promote the blog and let people know when I post new recipes, ideas and photos. 

Today, my blog had its 9000th page view. I cannot believe that 9000 times, people from every inhabited continent have viewed my 293 posts.  The countries where people view my blog include the US, Canada, Russia, Philippines, Germany, UK, Sweden, Australia, Slovenia and Denmark.  It is amazing to me that people from all different ethnic cultural backgrounds have found my site and are coming back for more.  It is humbling to know that the food I make is being made across the world! From Christmas cookie recipes to Spring Flower Arrangements, people keep coming back.

I truly believe in not only making great food but growing it and making it available to as many people as I can.  This blog may be based on Long Island, but the idea of getting out into your own land or buying from your local farmer, transcend not only a national level but a global one.  Everyone who has visited this site has a local food identity of their own.  I am trying to show people how to use what is literally or figuratively in their own backyards to create recipes and maybe even to effectuate a change in how they live.  I know not everyone is going to dig up their lawn and start a garden.  But maybe I can encourage people to join a CSA, go to a farm stand or even just buy the local produce at the grocery store.  Small changes, I believe, can add up to a big impact.  Buying from local farmers is an investment in the local community.  Buying from farmers keeps the farm in business. Buying from farmers keeps real food, not food products, on the table.  Buying from farmers helps to keep the farms we all love to visit and protect.  The ultimate way to protect farmland from development is to buy the food grown on it.  Don't assume someone else will do it.  Do it yourself and set the example. 

So, I say thanks to all of you who visit me and share in my food and life journey to enjoy things Homemade on Long Island.  Please honor the things Homemade where ever you live.  Keep visiting and I will continue to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment