Friday, January 18, 2013

Green Living Tip #4 - Stop Using Paper Plates and Plastic Cups

                                          
Three years ago I decided to kick the paper plate and plastic cup habit.  I used to go to the big box store to buy them. They were a part of my regular grocery list, like milk and eggs.  They are expensive to purchase, but it is more than the actual cost that made me stop using them.  The amount of trash that my house was generating was ridiculous.  When I started to realize that much of the trash we were creating was from disposable plates and cups, I knew I had to do something about it.  The thought of all of that garbage going to the waste stream make me cringe.  So what did I do? I decided to use those lovely plates and glasses sitting in my cabinets!  Not only was it free for me to use the items I already own, but I was saving lots of money by not purchasing plates and cups. 

At first, the transition was hard.  We now needed to wash more dishes either by hand or run the dishwasher more often.  But once we got used to not using them, kicking the habit was easy. What made it even easier was the fact that there were no more plastic cups or paper plates in house, so we had no choice but to use the glasses and plates sitting in the cupboard.  We are now used toit and we do not regret changing over.  Not only do we have more money in our pockets, but we take the trash out less too.  We save more money on trash bags too because we fill them up less often too!

Once we were used to not using plastic it became a part of our life and we never thought about it again...until we had house guests.  When my parents came for visits they would ask me where the cups and plates were.  When I showed them the cupboards, they said that they meant the paper cups.  I realized that the habit began when I was a kid and that is what we used at home. I had gotten this disposable lifestyle from my parents!  I tell my parents that we are Eco-friendly at our home and do not use disposable plates and cups. I have come home from work during a visit with my parents to find that they went shopping and picked up some disposable items.  But, I tell them again and ask them to please use the "real" plates and cups. It is not easy raising parents!

I admit that when I have a BBQ in the summer, that using my "real" cups and plates is not realistic - I don't own enough for parties of 30 people. My solution to that trouble is to use compostable or recyclable plates and cups. This way, I am being Eco-friendly and not spending the time I am supposed to be enjoying my guest washing dishes at the sink.

It is not hard to try to live a greener life.  Making small changes in your life can make a big impact.  When I think about how much my household has reduced its trash impact and then think about how much more we can reduce if every household in my town did the same, I am amazed.  So, I am asking you to make this change too.  While you are at it, ask your neighbors to do it to.  Not only will you help the environment but you will save money too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment