Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Beef Barley Soup


I made this recipe using Prime Rib Beef Stock.  I had never made beef barley soup before so when I saw the leftover bones I figured they would be a great start to the classic soup.  You can use store bought stock or other homemade beef stock as well. I also used the meat leftover from the making of the stock in the soup.  You can use any leftover beef you have in the fridge or leave it out entirely.  All of the ingredients for this soup were in my fridge or pantry and should be in yours too.  I always have the veggies in my crisper drawer and the barley is part of my well stocked pantry. All of my ingredients are also organic and local where possible.  If you like hearty soups that are easy to make you will love this soup.

Makes:  7 pints

Ingredients:

1 TBS olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1/2 shallot, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 leek, cut into half moons
1/4 cup parsley, minced
1 cup beef, precooked and diced
1 cup pearl barley
1 TBS salt
1 tsp pepper
1 Bay leaf
1/4 tsp dried thyme or Italian seasoning
7 cups beef broth

Here's how:

Heat the oil in a soup pot.

Add onion, carrot, celery, shallot, garlic, leek and parsley and saute for 5 minutes until soft, but not brown.


Add in the beef and barley and saute for 1 minute.

Add in the remaining ingredients and bring the soup to a boil.


Once it boils, reduce to a low simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the soup from sticking to the bottom.


After 30 minutes, check to make sure the barley is soft. If not, keep cooking for a few more minutes until it is soft.

Eat and enjoy right away, refrigerate for one week or freeze for up to one year.

No comments:

Post a Comment