Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bread Maker

For Christmas this year I received a gift card to a kitchen store.  I knew immediately what I wanted to buy...a brad maker.  On my way to pick up my CSA I stopped by the Tanger Outlets and there it was - on sale for $69.95- the Cuisinart Bread Maker.  I bought it, brought it home and have begun my foray into homemade bread.

Ever since reading Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle," I have wanted to make homemade bread.  But the time it takes was a concern.  It is not a hard thing to make, but you have to be home to knead, rise and bake the bread.  Also, the rising has to be in a warm room, and at my house, there is no such thing.  A bread maker is a great solution for me because I add all the ingredients and it does all the work.  I am not one to shy away from work when it comes to food, but bread has to be done right.  It takes less than 5 minutes of active time to make bread.  After pushing start, you just wait until it is done. 

There are only 2 times when I need to do something to the machine, but it is my choice. This machine really is a set it and forget it type.  The first time for me is when it is performing the first knead.  I use a spatula to make sure all of the ingredients are combined in.  I noticed that if I don't do this, a small amount of batter stays on the edge.  It is not a problem but I consider it a waste.  One turn around the pan to knock the batter down to the bottom and the machine will incorporate it all.  The second time is on the last cycle before it bakes, the machine will beep to tell you to take out the beater.  It is not necessary to do this, you just pull it out after baking, but then you have a hole in the bottom of the loaf.  If you pull it out, then there is no hole.  Both of these things that I do are not necessary and are more related to my neurotic obsession with perfection than anything else. 

Since it is winter, it is the perfect time of year to be experimenting with homemade bread.  The aroma in the house is unbelievable, it smells like warmth. I am going to be working my way through different recipes and giving bread away to my friends, family and colleagues. I am especially interested in making some Gluten Free recipes for my friends who are usually left out of my gluten laden baking.   I love bread but the ingredients on the back of the package scare me.  This machine is going to allow me to have control over the ingredients and that is the best part. 

I am excited to try out as many recipes as possible.  Be sure to check back and follow my adventures in bread making.

No comments:

Post a Comment