Monday, March 14, 2011

Vegetable Soup with Cabbage

I received a head of cabbage in my Winter CSA box and I needed to make something with it.  Since soup is a favorite of mine for using up ingredients in the fridge, I knew what to make.  I like to use the slow cooker whenever possible, so I can go about my day without having to hover over the stove.  If you want to make this as a quick soup on the stove, simply saute the veggies and then add the stock and let it cook.  If you want to use the slow cooker, follow the directions below.


Ingredients:

1 cup diced onions
1 cup sliced or diced carrots
3 large garlic cloves, diced
2 cups yellow or green squash, cut in rounds
4 cups sliced cabbage
1 large tomato, diced
4 cups, chicken or vegetable stock
1 tsp dried thyme or 1 TBS fresh thyme
1 TBS tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste

Tools:

Slow Cooker

Here's how:

Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or low for 5.  All the veggies should be soft and the stock full of flavor.


Diced onions
Sliced carrots
Diced garlic
Frozen yellow squash from my garden, use fresh if it is in season
 
Sliced cabbage

Diced tomato
All in the slow cooker, lined with a Reynolds liner.  Cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment