Sunday, February 27, 2011

Seed Starting 2011

Today is the day - the first day of spring for me.  I know the calendar does not say it but, spring has arrived.  I began my seeds today.  I have been writing about ordering seeds and purchasing supplies, but today is the day to take all of the preparation and put it to work.  As of today, my hopefulness for a great harvest has begun.  Here is how to start your seeds indoors.

I began with ordering my seeds in January and they have all arrived, even the back ordered ones.  I purchased seed starting soil.  Here is the kind I used from Jiffy, it is organic, since I use organic seeds and the garden is organic, I like the starter to be organic as well.



I also purchased peat pots to start the seeds in.  I use the 3 inch ones, because it allows the seeds to get good root size without crowding and they fit well into the mini greenhouse I purchased. 



I also purchased plastic seed labels from Lowe's so I know what I have in each pot.  Use a pencil to write on these, ink and marker run. 

I bought a Hydrofarm from Amazon.  It includes a plastic mini greenhouse with a bottom and tall lid.  This is important so the seeds can grow tall and have room to do so.  It also comes with a heat mat, this helps germination, which is especially handy for seeds that like warm soil like tomatoes and peppers.

Now it is time to get started.  Find a bucket and put hot water into the bottom.  Pour the started soil on top and then add more hot water.  Mix until the soil is wet, but not sopping and not dry.  You want to use hot water because the peat in the soil absorbs the hot water best.  Do not fill the pots with dry soil and then add the water - it will run off and you will not get an even soil moisture.


Lay out the pots in a plastic pan, greenhouse base or whatever you are using.


Fill with moistened soil.


Place the labels in each pot and plant the accompanying seed.




Put the lid on and the heat mat underneath.  Put the whole thing in front of your sunny window and wait for germination.



My next step after germination is going to be placing the seedlings under a light.  I will update you when that happens.  Make sure you water the seeds and keep the proper moisture in your greenhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment