Monday, February 21, 2011

Red Cabbage

My CSA box for January and February contained a small head of red cabbage.  I put them in the vegetable crisper drawer and waited for inspiration.  Then it hit me.  When I was a kid I loved red cabbage out of the jar.  So I decided to try to make it for myself.  Here is my version, which is tangy and fresh and delicious.  If you want this to be vegetarian, use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.

Ingredients:

1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
2 small heads or 1 large head red cabbage (organic if possible)
3-4 cups chicken stock (organic)
4 TBS apple cider vinegar
salt

Here's how:

Heat a large saute pan on medium heat with the olive oil.

Thinly slice the red cabbage.

Cabbage is sliced.
Add the cabbage to the pan and saute for 5 minutes until it begins to soften.

Saute for 5 minutes (before)
 Add 3 cups of the chicken stock and vinegar.

Stock and vinegar added
Lower the heat to low and let simmer for 40-45 minutes until soft and all the liquid has evaporated.  If the cabbage is still too crunchy, add the last cup of chicken stock.  This is up to you how soft or hard you want it.

Done and ready to enjoy
Serve hot.  This can be served with anything - chicken, pork, beef, fish etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment