Friday, November 12, 2010

Christmas Cookies Tips

                                                             Cookie Jar clipart

Every year for the past 5 years I have been making Christmas cookies.  It started with just a few for those who came for Christmas dinner.  Now it has grown into gifts for friends and family to the tune of 40 tins each Christmas...and growing. 

I buy my tins at Walmart.  They range in size and price.  I buy the largest tins which cost $3 each.  I have to get there as soon as they put the tins out because they sell out fast.  I ask those who receive the tins to please return them so that I can refill them for the next year.  Those that are shipped out of state I do not get back and thus, I must replenish those.  I buy Christmas themed and generic winter themed for our non-Christian friends.

I begin stocking up on baking ingredients in September.  I go to the local bulk buying stores and buy flour, sugar, brown sugar, flavorings, nuts, chips, oats, and butter a little bit at a time each time I go.  It makes it easier for two reasons.  First, the cost is spread out over a few months so I do not feel the cost all at one time.  Second, when I am ready to begin baking, all of the ingredients are in the house and I do not risk running out.  I freeze the butter until I am ready to use it.  The other ingredients stay well for several months.  Buying in bulk is much cheaper than going to the local grocery store.  The other things I buy are parchment paper and gallon sized freezer safe bags.  These make clean up and storage easier.

I begin baking on Veterans Day.  I know it sounds early but it is necessary.  I make between 15 and 20 different varieties of cookies.  I make 40 tins.  I make 3-4 of each variety.  That is up to 3200 cookies.
I use my chest freezer to store the cookies.  They keep very well inside the freezer bags and freezer.  I count each variety and write down the number of cookies on each bag, this also serves a dual purpose.  First, I can keep track of how many I have made to ensure there are enough.  Second, it lets everyone in the house know they had better not take any, because I will know!

I find this method of beginning early and freezing much easier than trying to rush it all in right before Christmas.  It is still stressful to make so many, but it allows me to save money on gifts.  Also, there is something special about giving a homemade gift to someone.  It shows that you took the time to think of them.

Over the next few weeks I will be posting all of the recipes and photos for the cookies I make this year.  Try them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment