Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Thanksgiving Table 2012


Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  Not only do I love to make everything from scratch sourced from local farms, but I also like to make a beautiful presentation.  Setting the table in a special way makes everyone at the table enjoy the meal a bit more.  Kids are on their best behavior, adults act a bit more formally and the food looks its best. 

My china has a gold rim around it.  To bring out that gold, I put the plate on a gold charger.  I also use gold ware for the folk, knife and spoon.  The continuity of color makes the table look put together.

I like to buy napkins for the meal that are seasonal and fold them in a formal way.  This year I found napkins in a green color with stitching of acorns and leaves.  I used napkin rings to add some shine to the table.

Set the gold ware in a formal setting.  Dinner fork on the left, knife on the right, dessert fork and spoon on top.

I also found some cute little mini taper candle holder in the shape of leaves and small ivory colored candles.

The centerpiece is in my turkey shaped container.  It is metal and wicker and in the shape of the star of the meal.  I save the container and bring it to the florist each year and every year the centerpiece is different.


I jazz up the basic stem wear with some leaves.  I bought a leaf floral bushes with wire in the stems, cut them off and wrap them around the stem of the glasses.  It makes them look great for a few dollars.

I set the table with turkey shaped salt and pepper shakers and a freshly pressed tablecloth.

The platters and serving bowls match the china or are fall colors.

One trick I use to make dinner go smoothly is to have 2 gravy boats and 2 platters of turkey and place them on each end of the table.  This makes it easy for everyone to get what they want without having to pass heavy or hot food.

When the meal is one and the table is cleared I take a few minutes to tend to the linens.  The food you just ate is full of fats and all over the napkins and table cloth.  Spray the greasy areas with a pre-treater and immediately put them into the washer.  It will keep your linens from staining and keep them nice for next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment