Sunday, December 2, 2012

Roasted Turkey Stock

I cannot let food go to waste.  I save my roasted chickens until I have enough to make chicken stock.   I use the same principles for my Thanksgiving turkey.  One of the best uses for that left over turkey carcass is to make turkey stock.  In order to make the stock, I use a large kitchen knife to cut it up into pieces, add veggies and make a flavorful stock.  The stock can be used for soups, pot pies and anything else that calls for chicken stock.  The best part of turkey stock is that it is made from a part of the turkey that gets thrown away, veggies left over from making stuffing and the promise of future meals.  This past year I had a 29 lb turkey so I made 5 quarts of stock.  If you have a smaller bird, you will get less.

Ingredients:

1 Roasted turkey carcass, leftover from Thanksgiving or other dinner
2 onions, quartered
4 large carrots, cut in half
4 celery stalks, cut in half
1/2 bunch of parsley
2 bay leaves
3 garlic cloves
1 TBS salt
1 tsp black peppercorns
water

Here's how:

Place all of the ingredients into a pot, except water.

Pour water over the ingredients until it just covers everything.

Place the pot on high and bring to a boil.

Simmer and cook for 3- 4 hours, until all the ingredients are broken down and the liquid is richly colored.  Turn off.

Place a fine mesh sieve with a double layer of cheese cloth over a bowl.

Using tongs, remove the large items from the pot and discard.

Pour the stock through the sieve.  You may need to do this in batches.

Pour the stock into containers.

Label, refrigerate or freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment