Monday, June 17, 2013

Organizing My Utensil Drawer

I know that this post does not sound too fun or exciting.  However, this is something I have been unable to master in the seven years I have owned my house.  As you can see below, my kitchen drawers are very wide.  This may seem like a great thing for storing large amounts of utensils and it is.  But for keeping it organized, that is another story.
Embarrassing and inefficient

 You can see the drawer is a mess.  I try to keep things that are the same or similar together.  I bought a small green plastic basket (see it in the front left) to keep some of my baking things together like scoops and teaspoons.  But that little basket could not contain the mess.  Adding to the problem was that every time the draw was opened and closed, the items would shift forward and back and get out of the places I had put them. 

I tried to place frequently used things like spoons and tongs in the front and not used things like the turkey baster in the back.  But, you can see that my attempts were not working so well.

It all began by taking a trip to the Container Store to buy a large plastic utensil holder that expands for a drawer my size.

Next, I removed all the items and placed them on the counter.  Once I did that, I was able to see what I had in the drawer and get rid of things I never use and discard broken things.  I had 3 can openers but only one worked - so 2 went in the trash! 

After I pared down the items, I removed the things that really had no place in the drawer.  Sure I need a lighter for my kitchen but I do not need the contents of the Costco pack of four.  So, one stayed and the other 3 went by the grill. 

Finally, I sorted the items into "like" categories s that things that are the same or used together were put into piles together.

Then I placed the expandable holder in the drawer. It still left a place for the green plastic basket on the left.

Then I filled it up.  Here is how it looks now:



Organized and proud
 I put all the wooden spoons in one slot, tongs, spatulas and large plastic spoons in the next, can opens, graters, peels and garlic press in the next, lesser used items like the ice cream scoop, baster, potato scrubber next and the ladles and meat pounder in the last.  The upper left corner is used for oddly shaped things like the pizza cutter, bottle openers and meat thermometer.  The baking green basket in the front is now easy to see and contains the items nicely.

Since I am hoping to sell my house soon, little things like organized drawers, pantries and closets make the house look like there is a lot of storage and that you take care of the home.  I just wish I did this sooner.  The trick now is to get my husband to put the things in the proper slot!

This whole task took me about 10 minutes and it makes cooking so much easier.  Since everything is in the right place I can find what I am looking for without digging in a mess.  I hope you can find some inspiration from my mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment