Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pea Soup


I usually make my soups in the slow cooker- clean up is easier and I can do other things while it cooks.  So, when I made a ham for dinner last weekend, I ended up with a big ham bone that would not fit in the slow cooker.  I decided that I should come up with a Pea Soup recipe that could be made on the stove top. I also had extra ham from dinner that I could throw into the soup to make it a bit heartier.  This recipe is easy and was made with ingredients that were either leftovers, in the crisper drawer or a pantry staple.   This soup was made using things I already had in the house.  That makes for a cheap and easy meal for me. The ham was not organic but all the veggies, spices and peas are.  You can use conventional ingredients too.  Use a large stockpot for this to keep the bone in and to fill it with water.  If you don't have a leftover ham bone, use two smoked ham hocks.  Whole Foods sells Nitrate free ones.

Makes 3 quarts

Ingredients:

1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 medium sized carrots, organic, diced
3 celery stalks, organic, diced
1/2 tsp pepper
1 ham bone
2 Bay leaves, organic
4 cups split peas, organic
16 cups water
4 slices ham, cubed (optional)

Here's how:

In a large stockpot, add oil and heat until hot.

Add carrots and celery. Saute for 5 minutes, until softened.


Add pepper, bay leaf, peas, ham bone and water.


Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour and 15 minutes

Turn heat off and remove the bone and bay leaves. 

Remove the meat from the bone and add it back into the soup.

Add the extra ham from the slices if using.

Serve now or refrigerate or freeze for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment