Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Strawberry Harvest 2011 Begins

As June begins and the garden continues to grow, so starts the process of my favorite June pastime - picking strawberries.  I have been eagerly watching the strawberry patch green up, then flower and finally, the small strawberries began to grow.  As they reddened I was forced to wait until they totally changed from green and white to a bright red.  If you pick too early they are bland and if you pick too late the ants make dinner out of them. But when they are picked at just the right time they are so sweet and full of flavor.  I was so excited to pick the stawberries today and know that the harvest will continue for the next three weeks and then, my garden will give up other things.  It makes me appreciate the strawberry to know that it is only fresh for this three week period and that I must enjoy this time before it passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment