Monday, June 13, 2011

June 13, 2011 Harvest and Planting

After a weekend away from home and no one to pick in the garden, there were some casualties.  I did pick 8 cups of strawberries and lost about 1-2 to bugs and over ripeness.  I was excited to be able to pick peas for the first time.  I was able to shell the peas and have 3/4 cup.  The vines are full of more, just not quite ready yet. 

8 cups of berries

Pea pods full of peas

The pods above yielded this 3/4 cup
I was not home this weekend because I was spending time on the North Fork of Long Island.  I was on omission to buy some vegetable plants for my garden.  I only wanted organically frown so I know of three a locations - Garden of Eve, Sang Lee and Garden Fusion.  I chose Sang Lee because it was close to where I was spending the weekend and I was very happy.  They have a great variety of organic tomatoes, peppers, eggplant., squash, herbs and so many more. If you are looking for great organic plants as well as organic produce, stop by Sang Lee. It is located on Route 48 in Cutchogue, on the south side of the road.

I also purchased rhubarb stalks and ended up with 18 cups of sliced rhubarb.  Once the strawberries are done on the plants, I am going t be making jams and pies with the berries and rhubarb.  I love that the rhubarb is available for such a short time along with the berries, that it is a truly special time.  Right now I have 28 cups of strawberries frozen so there is so much to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment