Saturday, June 2, 2012

May 28, 2012 Garden

Today was a very hot and humid day.  I worked out in the vegetable garden but did take some water breaks.  I am going to use newspaper with mulch over it to help keep the weeds out of the garden.  I ran out of newspaper and was not able to finish that part of it but I did plant most of the bed.  I planted 20 San Marzano tomatoes, 3 Early Girls, 3 Big Boys, 10 basil seedlings, 3 rows of Joan Rutabaga and 3 rows of carrots.  I hilled up the soil around the potatoes, weeded the area by the peas, put up another trellis for the peas and mulched what I could.  Here is how it is looking in the vegetable bed.



Trellis for beans


Trellis for beans. squash, and cucumbers


This is the entire area that is for the vertical gardening


Basil seedlings


Rhubarb is getting big.  The herbs are in the back area


Strawberries


Tomatoes: You can see the area that has the mulch and cages and the area that still needs it


Potatoes to the far left, peas on the supports, then beans.  This area has newpaper covered in mulch to keep out weeds.


Potatoes.  They are getting tall.  I have mounded the soil around their roots.
Here is how the perrenial beds are doing:






























2 comments:

  1. Your gardens are exquisite and show much hard work. The idea of the lattice for vertical gardening works well. Absolutely love the perennials. I strive for a perennial garden but only have a few plants so far. Is it possible to get a wide angle shot of your yard to see the layout?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try. I started with a half acre of nothing but grass and have over the past 7 years adding beds and perennials. I will take some shots to give some perspecitive as to how it is laid out. There is always more grass to remove and more beds to create so I tackle them a section at a time.

    ReplyDelete