Sunday, May 22, 2011

First Harvest of 2011

This weekend I found myself in the vegetable garden again.  I planted seeds several weeks ago and left the bed to grow on its own.  While I was busy cleaning out the perennial beds, making baskets and pots full of annuals and focusing on the seeds indoors, my vegetable seeds were growing....as were the weeds.  I went out there this weekend and saw weeds taking over my peas and root veggies. It was hard to see the shallots, leeks and rutabaga tops amongst the weeds.  I also noticed that my radishes were bulging out of the ground.  Could it be that they were ready to be picked.  YES!  I pulled about a dozen radishes and had them in the salad from dinner.  I also weeded the beds with extreme care.  The tops of some of the veggies are so small and delicate. 

First harvest for 2011
My peas and green beans are growing up their supports and my herbs are getting big.  My chives have purple flowers on them and my strawberries already have small fruit on them.  June will find me full of strawberries - I cannot wait for the ice cream, pies and eating them straight from the plants, still warm from the sun.  I may be a bit sore from all of the garden work this weekend but the literal fruits of my labor are already finding their way to my table.

No comments:

Post a Comment