Saturday, April 9, 2011

Planting Seeds 2011

On Sunday I finally got outside to finish my direct sowing of my seeds.  I planted 3 rows of Golden Beets, 3 Rows of Leeks, 2 Rows od Rutabaga, 3 Rows of Pole Beans and 3 Rows of Peas.  I am going to do another sowing of the Rutabaga in June/July for a fall harvest (Thanksgiving dinner perhaps).  I weeded the area and then added compost before sowing.  The rain during the week kept it sufficiently moistened. 

Two weeks before I planted the seeds listed above, I sowed carrots and radish.  The radish are already poking out of the ground, here is what they look like after today, which is after three weeks in the ground:

Radish tops
I also took some photos of the seeds I am growing inside under the lights.  Tomatoes, peppers, squashes and cucumbers are growing well.  The celery is small but growing.  Basil and parsley are also doing well.  I transplanted the tomatoes last weekend into larger peat pots, deeper than before, to get strong stems.  In addition to the lights I also have a fan blowing on the seeds to simulate the wind of outside.  This really makes a difference in the stem strength and you should do it.  Here is how they look:

Tomatoes and pepper in the front

Squash in the front, tomatoes in the back

Celery in the front center, squashes in the rear 
I carefully weeded the area outside where the seeds were sowed.  This helps the seeds in that they do not have to compete for nutrients with the weeds.  The newly tilled soil out there allowed the weed seeds to sprout so I had to get to them quickly before they grow too big and crowd out the seeds.

The perennial garden is really starting to move forward too.  My Bleeding Hearts are getting to be about a foot tall already.  The Crabapple Tree is budding, bulbs are blooming and spring is moving forward.  There is so much hope at this time of year.  Here is the Crabapple:


The birds are returning, I have to fill the feeders each day again.  I cannot wait for it to be a bit warmer so I can really get out there and work in the beds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment