Thursday, February 28, 2013

Lamb Loin Chops

I am not a fan of lamb; I don't eat it and I don't like it.  But, I can appreciate that those who do like it really enjoy it.  It is not a food that is eaten every day, it is more of a special occasion food like Easter or a dinner party.  Last week when I was at Whole Foods I saw some lamb loin chops on sale and decided to surprise my husband with them...and then I needed to come up with a recipe that would have great flavor but still allow the meat to really shine. I think this recipe did it.  My husband said it was the best lamb he has ever had!  That means a lot because he is honest about my cooking.  He said it is dinner party food and I think you should try it for your next one...I know I will.

Serves 4

Ingredients:

2 TBS brown mustard (I like Gulden's)
juice of one lemon
1/2 cup roasted garlic and herb olive oil or 1/2 cup oil, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 lbs lamb loin chops

Here's how:

Place all of the ingredients, except the lamb, into a zip bag or a large bowl and whisk to combine to create a marinade.
Marinade being made

Add the lamb and coat the meat with the marinade.
Lamb loin chops

The chops look like a mini T-bone steak
Looking good already

Place the bag or bowl into the fridge overnight up to 2 days. Turn them over at least once while marinating.
Heading into the fridge

When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and take the meat out of the fridge.
Marinated and ready to cook

Meanwhile, heat a cast iron skillet or other oven safe pan on medium heat.
Heating the pan

Place the lamb into the pan and cook on 2 minutes on each side for rare, 3 minutes for medium rare,  4 minutes for medium.
Right into the pan with some extra marinade on top
Cooked on one side and turned

After cooking on each side, place the pan in the oven for 3-5 minutes.  Three minutes for thinner chops and 5 for thicker chops.
Ready for the oven

Remove the pan from the oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
Ready to eat

Serve and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment