Sunday, April 8, 2012

First Time in the Garden 2012

I have been wanting to get out into the garden for a few weeks now.  I finally got outside today and started on the work.  It felt good to get out there and work in the soil and make the garden look good again.  It also felt good to get the vegetable garden started.

I did not plant my peas on St. Patrick's Day as I had wanted.  In fact, the vegetable bed is full of weeds.  This is is disappointing considering how I worked in the fall to make sure the bed was cleaned out and ready for the spring.  So much for that!  We went to Agway and bought 10 bags of compost and 10 bags of dehydrated cow manure and then tilled it into the vegetable bed.  Next, I added a bag of blood meal to the bed.  I raked the bed to remove weeds and level it out.  Now the bed was ready to be planted.

I planted the vegetable bed with:

5 Yukon Gold seed potatoes, organic
5 Russian Banana seed potatoes, organic
5 Cal White seed potatoes, organic
21 Silver Rose garlic cloves, organic
1 row, on a trellis, Sugar peas, organic
1 3/4 row Sugar Peas 2, bush, organic
2 1/4 rows Provider Snap Bush Beans, organic

I still have to plant carrots but, today was too busy.  I also have my seedlings to plant in May.

I made a trip to Peconic River Herb Farm last weekend and bought shrubs for my northern fence.  It is an area that is bare and in need of some plantings.  Unfortunately I am without any ideas.  So on my trip to Peconic River I had a $75 gift certificate to use and I knew shrubs would be a good use of it.  I bought and planted 1 Cardinal Candy Viburnum and 2 Coppertina Ninebark.  They will grow to 6-8 feet tall and wide and help fill in the fence sections.  I need to keep filling in the fence area and make it pleasing to the eye.

I also continued work on my Memory Garden.  I found Astillbe bare root plants at a big box store.  They are 'Pink Beauty' variety, donate money to Susan G. Komen For the Cure and come 3 for $5.88.  I bought 3 packages and planted them.  I also removed a hydrangea from that garden that I planted in the fall but it did not make it through the winter.  I moved one of the pink coneflowers and am trying to better organize that bed.  I move a few tulip bulbs to make the arrangement look better.  I had originally designed that bed to be 4 feet long and three feet wide, about half of a fence section.  After stepping back from it, I decided that it should be the length of the entire section.  So I now have the hydrangea in the middle with the coneflowers on each side.  The front of the bed has Susan G. Komen For the Cure tulips.  The Astillbes are between the tulips and hydrangeas.  I also placed an angel wind chime that is on a stake in the bed.  It reads, "A Mother's Love is Forever."  This is the centerpiece of the garden.  I hope to keep adding to the bed with other perennials that give money to the cause and the garden.  I am in need of a yellow rose bush for this bed.  This was my mother's favorite flower.  My vision for the memory garden is one yellow rose bush surrounded by Susan G. Komen for the Cure pink flowers and plants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment